Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Legacy

Sometimes we get so involved in our lives and the stresses of what we are currently dealing with that we fail to realize how finite our lives on this earth really are.  Over the last month, the reality of how short life is has been burning on my mind.  A little over a month ago pretty early on a Sunday morning, my husband received a phone call that neither he or I ever expected and definitely did not want.  A dear friend and former coworker of ours had passed away tragically.  The news was crushing, particularly to my husband who had coached and worked closely with him for many years and had continued to stay in touch with even after moving on to a different school district.  This man was an incredible figure in the community.  Although he was only 30, his influence far outstretched his years.  Seeing the outpouring of love from the community was nothing short of humbling.  In the days that followed the people who he had touched demonstrated their great love for him in many ways, the community will forever be changed.  His funeral was very touching and it was incredible to see how many people he had influenced with his unwavering faith in God.
In the month since that time, I have done a lot of thinking.  Although he probably did not realize the scope of his influence, he left an incredible legacy.  I know as a 31 year old, I often take for granted that I will have many more years on this earth.  However, none of us knows the number of our days.  His tragic death has reminded me how tender life is and how vitally important it is to live life to the fullest every single day.
"Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil." James 4:13-16 NLT
Wow.  This verse makes it plain that we don't know what the future will hold for us.  We can plan ahead and have goals and dreams, but ultimately God is in control.  We must not brag about ourselves or what we are doing or going to do because God is the one who gives us those abilities and blessings.  "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9 NLT.  We must take life a day at a time and focus on the one who's opinion really matters; God himself. I know in my own life, when I trust God rather than myself, I am always blessed.
My biggest prayer right now is that I will allow God to direct my steps.  I want to be strong in my faith.  I want to leave a Godly legacy.  I am deeply saddened by the loss of a friend.  But I am so blessed knowing that he left a legacy so strong that hundreds of people saw the hands and feet of Jesus through him.  I want my legacy to be one where people see the work of God in every single facet of my life.  That is our highest calling for our time here on earth.  "The LORD knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever" Psalm 37:18 ESV.  I pray that I don't waste the days I have been given.  Whether I am instilling Godly principles into my children during this season, or demonstrating my faith in action through the way I live every day, my goal (and yours) should be to leave a lasting legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment