Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

An Introduction to Tom


                I would like you to meet Tom. Now, before you think I am a crazy cat lady and stop reading, hear me out. I am not writing about Tom because I am excited about a new cat. As a matter of fact, if you have been around my house you will know that we have about seven thousand barn cats, so a new cat is no big thing. Actually, Tom is not even my cat.
                As you probably figured out, Tom is, of course, a tom cat. About 6 months ago, he just showed up at our house from who knows where. What makes him special is the story behind the cat.
                When Tom showed up at our house he looked like a body builder on steroids. He was scratched up and looked like he had seen a few fights in his day.  He seemed to have no fears, and has been known to go after the dogs if they try to get too close. We didn’t mind having him around, because living where we do, we want to keep mice and snakes to a minimum, and cats seem to do a good job of that. Because of his mean nature though, we told our girls to stay away from him.
                A strange thing has happened over the last 6 months with Tom. When he first showed up, he was incredible scared of us. He stayed out by the barn and would run and hide every time we came near where he was at. But, over time, he started to get curious. He realized that we weren’t after him so he started getting braver and braver. He started coming closer and closer to the house, until he eventually started sitting on the porch.
                At this point he was still pretty scared of us, and would run off if we acted like we were going to go near to him. We continued to tell the girls to stay away from him because he might scratch or bite them. But I could tell he was changing. Slowly, as he got more brave and trusting of us, I made the first move. I slowly moved over to him and softly pet him on the back. He didn’t attack, but he did run away. Over the next few days he let me pet him a little more. Finally, after realizing I wasn’t going to hurt him, he actually let me pet him for a while.
                He slowly started to get brave with the girls, and now loves to be scratched behind the ears. He has even turned out to be quite the protector. If he feels like our basset hound, Murph, is getting too close he will step in and block him. He is now one of my favorite cats because he just loves being where we are.
                That sweet cat really made me think a lot about how easy it is to judge someone, or something, before we really know them. Growing up I learned, as most of us did, how to pass judgement on others. Whether we judge them because of the family they came from, where they grew up, or what they look like, the majority of people have some pre-conceived notions about other people. I know I do. But, just like that cat, you may not know what a sweet person they may be.
                Over the course of my life, I have had several occasions to learn the value of not judging a book by it’s cover. I have struggled with being judgmental pretty much my whole life, and even today still catch myself. I even debated writing about this, because I do still struggle in this area. But, we are told to confess our sins one to another (See James 5:16).
The first real chance I had to learn the lesson that you can’t always believe your pre-conceived notions and rumors was in the process of getting to know my husband. I was humbled so much when I learned how, under the sometimes rough exterior, this guy was a very thoughtful, intelligent, and caring man of tremendous integrity. That was really the start of the process of re-thinking my judgmental ways.
                After moving to Texas, I started going to a church where, once again, I learned a little more about not jumping on the judgement train too soon. The church had an incredible worship leader who you could tell really had a heart for God. However, one Sunday he dressed a little different than we were used to, and you could see how he was covered in tattoos. I was a little surprised and thought about jumping on the judgements again, but he proceeded to tell us about his past and how he came to Christ. It was such a great story of conversion, I felt terrible about having any negative thoughts.
                The biggest learning experience for me in the area of passing judgement though, has definitely been in my time as a teacher. I have heard so many heartbreaking stories from students who tend to get in trouble at school. More often than not, they simply crave attention and need love from others, they just don't know how to get it.
                We are called to love people. Not just people like us, but ALL people. Jesus himself said “’You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40 NLT.
                Jesus tells us that it is equally important to love God and love others. That love doesn’t mean that we continue to let them live in sin if that’s what is going on. It does, on the other hand, mean that no matter what, we love each other.
                I have definitely not arrived, unfortunately. However, I pray that each day that goes by would teach me to look at people through the eyes of Jesus, rather than through my own.

                “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” Matthew 7:3-5 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment