Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

24 Day Challenge...Day 17

"So lets not get tired of doing what is good.  At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessings if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9 NLT
I came across that verse the other night while I was reading, and it really seems to apply perfectly in my journey right now.   It is absolutely amazing to me how you can read a book or chapter of the Bible many times over and a verse won't stand out to you until the moment you need it.  No matter what trials you face in your life, God will guide you to just what you need if you just seek him.  I love this verse because just like when you plant a seed, it takes a while to see the fruit, and even longer to be able to harvest that fruit.  I know that if I continue doing the right thing I will get to my goal.
One of the things I am really trying to take note of during my journey is the little things I can do to make this more of a lifestyle than a diet.  I have mentioned a few: olive oil rather than vegetable oil, whole grain bread, reduced sodium table salt, ect.  I have also been a little more careful about actually measuring portions rather than "eyeballing it", although I do still need to get a kitchen scale so I can do that with my meat.
I tried another new recipe tonight and it was YUMMY!  I  made some chicken fajitas in the oven with homemade guacamole and homemade chips.  I have really liked finding easy, much more healthy recipes.  Although I have tried some that were flops (they were ones I didn't put recipes for ; ) I have also found a few good ones.  However, most of the recipes I have found I have tweaked a little to make them more healthy.
I am starting to feel a difference in my clothes so I know that the inches are changing.  I have decided to not weigh again until the end of my challenge, just so that I am not focused on daily fluctuations.   So far I have loved the 24 day challenge.  I have felt good, no crazy jitters or queasiness, and the Spark definitely gives me energy.  It has also not made me make drastic changes in my diet.  I don't have to eat only grapefruits or starve.  I did find a good snack mix that I really like.  It is called Simplicity Medley and it is unsalted almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds mixed with dried cranberries and blueberries...mmmmm.  Only problem is that my favorite part is the dried cranberries and I have picked almost all of them out of the bag : (.

Oven Chicken Fajitas

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in strips
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp reduced sodium salt
1 can rotel, partially drained
1/2 onion, sliced
5 sweet mini peppers, sliced (or you could use a couple of bell peppers, I just love the sweet mini ones)

Preheat oven to 400.  Mix oil and all seasonings in a small bowl.  In a 9x13 baking pan (sprayed first with non-stick spray) place chicken, onion, and pepper.  Pour your oil mixture and rotel into the pan and mix well.  Baked uncovered for about 30 minutes.

2 Minute Guacamole

2-3 ripe avacados, peeled and pitted
Your favorite salsa

In a food processor or a bowl, mix avacados and 2 to 3 tablespoons of your favorite salsa (add more salsa to taste, I just dump some in).  Enjoy!

Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips

Corn Tortillas
Reduced Sodium Salt
Non-stick cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 375.  Cut tortillas into fourths and place on pre-sprayed cookie sheet.  Spray the top of the tortillas and sprinkle with salt.  Bake about 10 minutes or until they are crisp.



No comments:

Post a Comment