Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Perseverance Part 2

Ok, so I really feel like perseverance has been the theme that the Lord has been speaking to me over the last couple of weeks.  Every time I get discouraged or frustrated with any piece of this journey, that is the word I keep hearing from that still, small voice.  I think that there are so many times when we are going through a trial that a lack of perseverance is the one thing that keeps us from having that breakthrough.
We live in such a microwave society.  What I mean by that is that we even have a hard time waiting the minute and a half for our favorite high sodium, processed snack to finish cooking in the microwave.  That makes it really hard to wait weeks, months, or even years for a victory in our trials.  I think that is especially applicable in weight loss.  Think about new year's resolutions.  It is so common for people to make a weight loss goal after the guilt of overindulging during the holidays sets in.  However, after a month or even a couple of weeks how many people stick to it?  We want instant results (and by we that includes me).  We think if we go to the gym for 20 minutes that we should have 6-pack abs and a tiny hiney.  At least thats what I think sometimes.
Perseverance.  We have to go through the wilderness before we can enter the promised land.  If we don't learn the lessons that we are suppose to while we are in the wilderness, we will just keep going in circles until we do.  Just ask the Israelites ; ).  God wants our total dependance.   We are to seek him first, and not in some legalistic way.  He wants us to come to him with a child-like faith.  That is something that I struggle with tremendously.  I am always trying to make things more difficult than they have to be.  There is no magic formula, if we depend completely on God, he will guide us in the right direction.  You notice how I said the right direction, that doesn't mean it will always be in the direction we think we need to go.  Just like the story I told you in the last blog post about my crazy career path.  I thought I knew what was best and when the rug was ripped out from underneath me it devastated my world.  I remember many occasions of praying the "why God why" prayer.  I am sure you know the one I'm talking about.  However, hindsight is 20/20 and now that I am on the other side looking back I see how God's hand was in every single step in that process.  He had even helped us prepare financially.  About a year before I got laid off, my husband and I had gone through Financial Peace University with our church small group.  Although we weren't rolling in the dough, we had a little bit of savings and had a good budget that we were able to adjust to just his paycheck for a few months.  What a huge blessing.  Now I know without a shadow of a doubt, that I am exactly where I am suppose to be at this point in my life.  Who knows what the future will hold, but with God's help, I will keep listening and persevering.
I heard a song tonight while I was jogging (believe it or not just started week 3 of the couch to 5K program) that really hit me.  It is one of my favorite Christian songs right now and it is called One Thing Remains by Kristian Stanfill.  I wanted to put the lyrics because they are simple, but so profound.

Higher than the mountains that I face
Stronger than the power of the grave
Constant through the trial and the change
One thing remains
One thing remains

Your love never fails it never gives up it never runs out on me x3

On and one and on and on it goes
It overwhelms and satisfies my soul
And I never ever have to be afraid
One thing remains

In death and in life I'm confident and covered by the power of your great love
My debt is paid there's nothing that can separate my heart from your great love


No comments:

Post a Comment